вторник, 24 марта 2009 г.

Is Platonic Love the Same Kind of Feelings and Relations as Frienship?


The term amor platonicus was coined as early as the 15th century by the Florentine scholar Marsilio Ficino as a synonym for amor socraticus. Platonic love in this original sense of the term is examined in Plato's dialogue Symposium, which has as its topic the subject of love or Eros generally.
Now Wikipedia gives this definition:"Platonic love (Latin: amor platonicus) is a deep and spiritual connection between two individuals: within such a relationship there does not exist any form of sexual connection or sexual elements."
What concerns me, I didn't suppose that platonic love has a meaning of friendship, because it contains a word "love". I'm sure that both words have something in common, but they are different anyway. I can't understand why should somebody invent such term for the definition of "strong frienship". For me, platonic love is more than frienship, it's highly close relationship, when people feel and understand each other without words, they don't need any explanations, they don't have any negotiations...and they also don't need any sexual relations. I'm absolutely happy to tell, that I have such "platonic lover" and enjoy him very much and hope, that I will never lose him. We call each other "mother" and "father". Sometimes this relationship brings happyness, sometimes - relief, they can make us better, they can lessen our selfishness and start thinking about anybody exept you.

Комментариев нет: